Glee open call auditions: Commentary

March 30, 2010

Rachel sang "On My Own" for her New Directions audition – what song will you pick?

So by now I’m sure you’ve all seen the news about the open call auditions for the second season of Glee! Even though I have no intention of trying out (I’m a huge fan, but I’m no actor or singer!), I still think that this whole process is incredibly interesting and thought I’d share some of my thoughts, both good and bad, on how FOX is carrying this whole thing out:

• First of all, doing it through MySpace is completely genius. I don’t even like MySpace and I still think it’s genius. For the most part, MySpace attracts the exact kind of fans that FOX would be looking for, and even though this casting call would be a big deal no matter how they execute it, running it through MySpace will make it an even bigger deal due to the already crazy large number of users on the site. PLUS, who do we know that updates her MySpace page regularly with videos of herself for her “adoring” fans? Yes, that’s right, Miss Rachel Berry. Genius, I’m telling you.
  • Secondly, let’s talk about the specific requirements for your audition: a video no longer than 5 minutes, with a 1-minute intro and a 4-minute song (and the song must be performed either a cappella or with a single instrument accompaniment). Now my biggest question here is why is the audition only focused on singing? What about acting? Dancing? I suppose dancing can, to enough of an extent, be taught, but I’m worried that this method will help FOX find some amazing singers…who might be terrible actors. I’m guessing that there will be an additional audition process after this which will include an acting portion, but I still think that having fans include a short monologue with their video would have been a good idea.
  • Third, what about the song options? To refresh, fans can choose from this list of 10 Glee songs for their audition: “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going” (Dreamgirls), “Gold Digger” (Kanye West), “Rehab” (Amy Winehouse), “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” (The Rolling Stones), “Can’t Fight This Feeling” (REO Speedwagon), “Don’t Rain on my Parade” (Barbra Streisand), “Hate on Me” (Jill Scott), “Keep Holding On” (Avril Lavigne), “Lean on Me” (Bill Withers), “True Colors” (Phil Collins). So what does everyone think of this list? I understand why they picked a specific list of songs from participants to choose from and the list is a pretty diverse mix of styles and genres which I appreciate. I’m not sure why they included the Barbra number though – anyone who chooses to sing that has some serious guts.
  • And finally, as a non-American, I must point out the sadness that this is a “nationwide” casting call, and thus if you’re not from the U.S., you’re outta luck. I thought that this would likely be the case, but I am a bit disappointed on behalf of all the talented Canadians, Brits, Italians, Australians, etc. etc. etc. that would love to audition.

So gleeks, what about you? How are you feeling about the open call auditions? Happy? Excited? Disappointed? Confused? Head on over to the comments to share your thoughts!

1. dadiva18 permalink
    March 30, 2010 11:40 pm

I am very excited to try out!
    I only have a MySpacefpr communication with a friend, but I agree that using it for it os a great idea.
    I also agree about the acting/dancing portion (or lack of) in the audition. Maybe peole will use their creativity and add some in!
    I do like the laist. As someone who is copeting for the Rachel Rival, I was hoping for DROMP, and luckily it is in there!
    I do feel bad that it is only US citizens, Glee is an international sensation, and its unfortunate that they can’t audtion for it!

Break a Leg to all who is auditioning!

2. March 31, 2010 12:02 am

If I weren’t as old as dirt, I would be making a video right now.

I was thinking about the Barbra song, too, and thinking they might have included it to cast for Rachel’s rival. If someone is going to give Rachel a run for her money, she’d better be able to belt that song. Although I’m skeptical that anyone will be able to best Lea on that song. There can’t possibly be three people on this planet who can make me want to hear Don’t Rain on My Parade on an endless loop for all of eternity, can there?

3. March 31, 2010 8:27 am

Fox owns MySpace, which is why they’re doing it there. It makes sense, but YouTube’s video platform is easier to use and share. Just sayin’.

😀

• Kenny permalink
      March 31, 2010 10:28 am

Yeah, but YouTube’s servers are horrible. Not that MySpace’s are any better though…

• March 31, 2010 4:28 pm

True! We can’t win!! Unless we make every person who auditions get a Vimeo account!

4. March 31, 2010 2:06 pm

I am so exited to audition. I think it makes sense for them to use “Don’t Rain On My Parade” for the auditions, especially since Rachel’s rival is being cast. That’s the song I’m going to be using for my audition. Besides the fact that it’s a hard song to sing well, I’m really exited to sing it. I think I do a pretty good job with singing Broadway songs. I don’t actually have a MySpace page and I’m wondering if that might make it harder for me to post my audition video. Will I be able to?

I definitely agree that youtube is much easier to use. I wish they had done it either on there or on the Fox website. I think doing it on their own website makes much more sense…

• Katie permalink
      June 7, 2010 1:17 am

Where does it say that it’s Rachel’s rival that’s being cast? Do you know what other characters they’re looking for?

5. Christina permalink
    April 8, 2010 11:45 am

Omg I cannot wait to submit my audition video! I’m either doing ‘True Colors’, ‘Keep Holding On’, or ‘Don’t Rain on My Parade’. As for that last song, it is a pretty difficult song to sing, but I can see why it’s an audition piece.
    I wish luck to me and everyone else who is auditioning!!! 🙂

6. Matt permalink
    April 9, 2010 2:56 am

I think GleeksUnited should post their favorite glee audition videos, or some top contenders. I’ve looked through a few (since I’m not talented enough to make the show) and I’ve found one AMAZING girl singing “And I Am Telling You.” Just search for “Honey” or click this.

I just thought it would be a good idea to feature some auditions!

Thanks!

Matt

7. kimmeh permalink
    April 10, 2010 4:20 pm

Being the nerd that I am, I read the terms for submission in their entirety and yeah, it says that those chosen for whatever reason may be submitted to screen testing or other further auditioning.
    Also, it sounded like one doesn’t necessarily need to be a US citizen at this time. He/she simply needs to “be a legal resident of and/or eligible to work in the United States.” So perhaps there’s a loophole?
    And I’m pretty sure they included Don’t Rain on my Parade because it’s so popular among the theatrical-types that watch the show (as well as the ‘Rachel’s rival’ thing…), and I happen to be singing it for my audition, too!
    So yeah…

8. April 15, 2010 5:57 am

Be careful, everyone!

I’ve read the terms a few times and watched some videos. According to the terms, “You must use the provided song lyrics and not make any changes to the lyrics or musical track.” There have been some people who’ve sung a bit differently than the provided lyrics. I don’t know how strict the casting directors or producers are, but just watch out.

By the way, please spare some of your time to check out my video. =)

– Justin

9. Katy permalink
    April 16, 2010 12:15 am

You think that girl Honey is good? She’s nothing compared to this girl I found. http://www.myspace.com/gleeauditions?link=387180449

10. Dianna permalink
    April 18, 2010 4:41 pm

You’ve got to be kidding. This audition is the most amazing one I’ve seen, and I’ve looked at A LOT!! By far the best Glee audition video up there.

11. April 18, 2010 7:09 pm

As long as people are throwing audition videos out there… =)
    votes are much appreciated!

12. Natalie permalink
    April 18, 2010 8:46 pm

SOOOO EXCITED!

13. April 18, 2010 11:38 pm

Excellent! Glee is doing a lot of clever things, and this open call is the cleverest. Making a reality-show feel without actually doing it.

I’m so there. I’d love to be a part of the series that’s making musicals a part of mainstream television.

14. britney permalink
    April 19, 2010 3:04 pm

hey i was just reading the requirements and legal stuff for entering an audition video and i was wondering.. are you allowed to put your video on youtube to attract fans?

15. moushumi permalink
    April 19, 2010 3:20 pm

VOTE for meee 🙂 http://www.myspace.com/gleeauditions?link=531418628

16. Emi permalink
    April 21, 2010 1:16 am

Hey, everyone! So, I’m not really sure if the votes or stars mean anything, but you should all check out my video and vote! I’d really appreciate it! Just trying to get my audition noticed, hopefully!

17. Alice permalink
    April 21, 2010 11:23 pm

Hey guys! I’ve been looking and looking for days, and I was wondering if anyone knew where the piano backing track that I’ve been seeing around the auditions for “Don’t Rain on my Parade” is from? All the karaoke versions online have a lot of other instruments in them. Are we allowed to use those? I’d rather use just this piano version, but I don’t know where everyone’s getting it.

Please help 🙂

18. April 22, 2010 3:21 am

Please check out my video!!!

19. April 22, 2010 11:16 pm

check out this dude! the quality of the video isnt great, but i want him to be the next male mercedes! he is legit.

20. Ashley permalink
    April 23, 2010 12:04 am

I totally found Rachel’s rival! This girl can BELT “Don’ Rain on My Parade”. Seriously, I went on to watch a friend’s video and came across this Chelsey girl’s video, and ended up voting more for her than my friend! OOPS! She is really good!

Maybe she could lose a little weight before the show starts..but I haven’t heard anyone else sing the song as well as she does!

21. Laurapora permalink
    April 23, 2010 4:49 am

hey guys i can do all three! sing dance and act! (well i don’t suck horribly at least lol) if you want to see for yourself, go watch my audition and give me a star…i would really appreciate it!

22. Claire permalink
    April 23, 2010 5:31 pm

Maybe I shouldn’t have sung this acapella, but can you guys check my video out anyway?

Thanks, and a lot of you guys are really amazing!

23. Kirachan permalink
    April 24, 2010 10:59 am

This girl can act, dance AND sing Don’t rain on my Parade!

24. Michelle permalink
    April 25, 2010 9:47 pm

THIS GUY WOULD BE AWESOME ONE THIS SHOW.
    If you love glee, you’ll notice, a LOT of the people that are auditioning
    can’t sing, have horrible stage presence, and look like they’re either
    too old for high school, or not good for the show.

I think he’d be the perfect match for Kurt.

SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT HIM.

25. May 1, 2010 6:59 pm

Having a very difficult song to sing will help to eliminate some singers who are not powerhouses like Lea Michelle, but who can compare!!

Check out this video

26. Alison permalink
    May 4, 2010 5:19 pm

I have to admit that I have watched hundreds of these. The three best guys are Sam Tsui, Raymond (oriental guy), and a guy named Tommy who sings at the piano.

The best girls are an adorable girl named Jaclyn Sage, a girl named Colleen, and a girl named Ali (who has error up instead of a personal statement).

Anyway, let’s see if any of my favorties get into the finals. 🙂

27. michael permalink
    May 4, 2010 10:52 pm

DK,
    The audition you posted is an amazing singer & cute picture! Her ability to hold out those last notes are pretty impressive and the tone of her voice is really nice. I do think those who sang Don’t Rain on My Parade for girls songs can shmuch easier than the boys who didn’t have great material to chose from. I would LOVE to see your recommendation on Glee.

The casting agents will have a lot of talent to pick from, so best of luck to all those who auditioned. And best of luck to your friend. She did a nice job

28. March 17, 2011 1:53 pm

heyy gleeks

Trackbacks

1. Want to be on GLEE?: All the details on the open call audition! « Gleeks United